We here at PB Web Development not only build Joomla website but we also build quite a few WordPress websites too. We’re all looking forward to some great new changes that are coming out in the next version of WordPress due for release late 2010.
What is WordPress?
WordPress is a lightweight content management / blogging system that allows the user to easily publish their content on a website quickly and easily. WordPress has great image management facilities as well as a very user friendly admin interface that allows for easy addition and updating of content on a website. It is a great platform for small to large content based websites.
Work is well underway on WordPress 3.1 and a quick update detailing the status of some of the new features as we approach the November 1st code freeze has been posted. The following features will more than likely be included in WordPress 3.1:
- Post Formats ‚Äì “Allow denoting a post as a certain format. Some example formats are aside, gallery, link, quote. This will allow themes to style these posts according to format.‚Äù (ready to go, awaiting decision to include a UI that themes can enable)
- Theme Search/Filter ‚Äì “Lift some of the search and browse ideas from the WordPress.com themes.php.‚Äù (still in first draft)
- Internal linking ‚Äì “. . . you click a button for an internal link . . . and it allows you to search for a post or browse a list of existing content by title, date, author, etc. and select it for inclusion.‚Äù (patch provided)
- Admin Bar ‚Äì “. . . an administration bar similar to the one on WordPress.com.‚Äù (first round is in)
- Ajaxified Admin ‚Äì “. . . makes most columns sortable, introduces a new pagination style, ajaxifies sortable columns, pagination & search . . .‚Äù (ready to go)
- Update TinyMCE ‚Äì Visual editor updated to TinyMCE 188.8.131.52. (ready to go)
- Multi-Taxonomy Queries ‚Äì Allows users to query multiple taxonomies. (first round is in)
- Custom Post Type Index Pages – Provides an index for custom post type virtual directories. (first round is in)
- Cleanup Admin CSS – Cleans up ‚Äúall admin CSS files to make them much easier to maintain, reduce bloat, consolidate extraneous files, and provide better support for admin color schemes.‚Äù (will span two releases)
- QuickPress Function – Makes QuickPress a function useable by custom post types and themes. (first round is in)
- User Admin – Provides a more personal Dashboard; ‚Äúa single endpoint for accessing profile information, cross-site preferences, a launching point for accessing all of a user‚Äôs blogs, collation of stats across all of a user‚Äôs blogs, a place for a multisite aware QuickPress, etc.‚Äù (first round is in)
- Network Admin – Moves ‚Äúthe Super Admin menus and related pages out of the regular admin and into wp-admin/network/.‚Äù (fixing bugs)