Wish List of Features for K2 2.6 + Joomla 1.6
So there is finally a release announced for K2 and Joomla 1.6. Yay! One of our favourite content construction kits is finally going to be upgraded into a Joomla 1.6 component.
On hearing the news, I went around and looked for some notes on what will be released and what will change in the new versions that are coming out, 2.5 and 2.6 in May, and I can't find a thing!
There is a little bit of talk about what MIGHT be in the new versions but nothing as yet that has been confirmed. So I thought I'd compile a short list of my wants in hope that they'll make it into the new version or future versions.
- Version Control, WordPress has it, it can't be that hard can it? I'd love to see version control added into the latest version of K2. It will make some of our corporate and Government clients extremely happy.
- Speed improvements, I've heard Fotis mention some changes to the code that greatly increase speed and rendering of K2. 500% speed increase. Its pretty fast as it is right now but if we can squeeze even more of that 1.5 second load time then why not!
- Video playing as a default in Categories and not just items.
- Automated thumbnails for videos from video networks e.g YouTube. It is possible because we've done it ourselves but I can understand that it will be quite a bit more code for a feature that many people won't use.
- Custom date formatting: We've been hacking the language files and template files in K2 to change the formatting of the text on the website. It would be nice if we had a parameter to be able to change the date to what ever format we chose using the PHP data formatting options. e.g. "D-M-YY" or "d/m" etc.
I'll add more to this list and will remove items as newer versions of K2 for Joomla 1.5 or Joomla 1.6 are released. We're looking forward at seeing what K2 has to offer us in the future.